We are coming towards the end of the first week of Ramadhaan, the best of all months, the month of the Holy Qur’aan. It is a time of reflection for us, whether we are better in our spirituality than before, whether we are engaging in more Ibaadah or whether we are continuing our bad habits and not making a conscious effort to change our ways.
The Shayateen have been locked up and they are no longer whispering into our heads. We are free of their influence, yet we continue our sins. Why is that? Simply because, through the course of the year, we have been conditioned to sin without even thinking about it. We sin without realizing we are sinning, we sin without realizing the negative effects on our hearts and souls. We sin without realising that it is Shaytaan who is influencing us, without realising that he even exists!
Our hearts have become rusted through the course of the year and this is our chance to polish our hearts. Let us take these few weeks and use them to the best of our abilities. By the end of this month, we should be able to say that we have done away with ATLEAST one bad habit and gained one good one. May Allah accept our efforts, Ameen!
A few Ramadhaan Tips that will, inshaAllah, be of benefit:
- When you wake up, before checking your phone etc, engage in some dhikr.
- Prioritize your Salaah before anything else. Do not let Shaytaan win even when he is locked up.
- Do not become frustrated at your inability to change instantly. We have been conditioned towards sinning for a long time, and it will take time to change!
- Allah’s help comes to those who want it and to those who are patient, do NOT give up!
- It is Mustahab (preferable) to take a break after 4 Rakaats of Taraweeh. Use this time to read Qur’aan/do tasbeeh etc.
- Reading 1/4 juz of the Qur’aan after each Salaah will enable you to finish the Qur’aan in 24 days. (This is very helpful for sisters who need to take account of days they will not be praying.)
- The reward for every deed is multiplied by 70! So, every £1 given to charity, it is as though you have given £70! Take advantage of this!
- Listen to recitations of Surahs that you are trying to memorize. It is much easier to learn the Tajweed!Record yourself reciting the Qur’aan. This will make it easier to rectify mistakes you make!
- Make sure you understand verses before moving on to the next one. This will inshaAllah benefit you in Salaah as well. The Qur’aan was revealed over 23 years and it’s not going to run away. No cramming!
- This month is not about food. Don’t waste your entire day preparing for Iftaar.
- This may be your LAST Ramadhaan! Make good use of it! In fact, we have not even been promised tomorrow!
Follow me on twitter @IslamIsTimeless for more #RamadhaanTips!